Canoes and Memories

Dear Mr Eggen,
   It is education week!  In "The Giver", by Lois Lowry,  some of the most important learning happens through the sharing of memories.  Memory is key to education.  If we don't remember properly then we can't find an appropriate direction to place our next footstep.
    I remember learning to paddle a canoe as a kid.  I probably scared the heck out of my parents.  Later on, in Grade eight, our class headed over to a man made lake one afternoon to see if we could all start learning the basics of canoeing in anticipation of our year-end trip.  This trip took us up North to the edge of the Canadian Shield...lakes and rocks and lots of paddling.   A few years later I learned more and better canoeing skills as I portaged and paddled in real wilderness with my mom and dad and brothers and sister.
     When our education system is an extension of the learning that has begun at home the results are lasting and deep.  The fruit is good.   If our education system decides it can operate independently of parents and families, the system will slowly implode.  And this self destruction could take many years...meaning that you and I may not see it all with our own eyes.
    Let's keep learning from our past.  If home and school eventually refer to different buildings (as they do for most students, but definitely not all) then we must make every effort to keep the lines of communication open between them.  I am so blessed by the fact that my education was good.  May we choose wisely as we move forward in learning.
   Sincerely,

Catherine van Kampen

Comments