Some thoughts about dignity...and harpoons


Dear Mr. Eggen,
   You might think that I am intolerant for thinking certain sexual things are wrong.  Ok.  How about if I explain a few points?
     It is not about identity.  Anyone's identity is a human person with dignity and worthy of respect. Period.  That's not what's up for grabs and you are not allowed to think,  for even one second, that I hate anyone based on sexual orientation.  We both care about our fellow humans, a lot, and you need to listen and understand me so you can hear the truth.
    What IS up for grabs is a discussion on if I am allowed to believe and teach that certain lifestyle choices and behaviors are wrong.   Yes, I want to discourage certain  ACTIONS and CHOICES.  I actually believe that judging action is a good thing; judging people is not.  You may not realize it but I think you operate this way as well. You probably think my behavior is bad and you will teach your kids not to become like me (that bigoted mom).  You are allowed to do that.  So please don't mind if I teach my children a certain code of conduct that applies to sexuality.
   At this point I also realize that I need to ask: ok, is there any behavior you would want to discourage your kids from?  Maybe stealing,  cheating,  rape?   Yeah, we are kind of the same, I just have a slightly different list than yours.  Mine is longer.
   Oh, and is there anything really awesome that you want to see protected so that your children can enjoy it in the future?  Right; whales,  polar ice caps, monarch butterflies... I agree, I add sex and marriage to that list for my kids.  And right now your 'anything-goes' culture is wrecking my ability to safeguard those gifts for future generations.  Restraint and self control are not dirty words; a youth who saves sex for marriage is lovingly preparing a beautiful gift. So I'll stop harpooning whales and you stop forcing your party's 'progressive' sexual views on the entire province, ok?
   Sincerely,
Catherine van Kampen

Comments

Post a Comment